“All images, copyright of the photographer and may not be used in ANY form without express WRITTEN permission from the photographer.”

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Tranquility of the Sea

The boat lights reflecting
on the water smooth as glass
or eyelids squinting, but I
can see the bobber.
I sit in the Herter's boat
on a hot August day
thinking about things
keeping quiet
feeling comfortable with the
noise surrounding me.
On the surface a fish ballet
begins as they breath in
water bugs all around the craft.
A crappie curls
while feeding on minnows.
A northern pike pulling down
the bobber
the line tightens
then snap!
I wait, watching the lily pads
dancing in the moonlight.
Near shore I can hear
bass surfacing.
I hear dragon flies
swarming around my head.
Bit. Pressing the "off" valve
I hear the air escaping
and feel the sting which
brings relief from the mosquitos.
In mid-air I catch a bat
on my hula-popper lure
squeezing under the bow yelling
"They'll gonna suck my blood out. Help. Save me."
I watch two loons
taking turns giving their offspring
a piggy back ride across Stokey Bay
sounds of lou...lou cease.
Wide wing span unfolds
as the blue herron flies
off into the sunset.
Floating logs, beavers will
fetch them tomorrow.
I hear other boats purring for shore.

This poem is dedicated to:
Catherine Fox Meyer
and John William Meyer.

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful poem .. and love your background music.
    Thanks for your comment on my mountains/clouds on Skywatch - it was wonderful to watch the everchanging clouds on that day.

    ReplyDelete