“All images, copyright of the photographer and may not be used in ANY form without express WRITTEN permission from the photographer.”

Saturday, October 25, 2008

"...my dad instilled in me a pure appreciation for home. He reveled in the elegant, epicurean pleasures of hearth and family, and he showed me that everything I'll ever need can be found within."
The Wabi-Sabi House The Japanese Art of Imperfect Beauty, Robyn Griggs Lawrence, CLARKSON POTTER/PUBLISHERS, NY, ©2004, Dedication Page "For My Father".

I was very fortunate to have a similar father. I remember once he brought me to a restaurant in Chicago for lunch. He asked me to order a baked potato without sour cream, butter, salt and pepper. He wanted me to eat the potato and taste the potato and honor the potato that I was eating. At the time, I didn't know he was teaching me how to live in a wabi-sabi house; but he was.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out, Joyce! What a great story...and doesn't it seem like the time is just right for this kind of wisdom from our fathers? I enjoyed your post!
    Cheers,
    Robyn Griggs Lawrence
    author, The Wabi-Sabi House

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog. I am honored to have you as a guest. Agreed there is no time like the present to share wisdom from our fathers. If not us, who then?
    Your book speaks quietly to my heart and soul.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete